Introduction to Urban Studies
This course takes as its base premise that cities are ever evolving. Thus, rather than study what cities are, we focus on what cities have been and what they can be. In the course, we ask the question: what are the factors and spaces at the heart of the evolution of cities? In doing so, the course provides students with the tools to better understand the processes of urban change and inspires students to develop a personal vision of the possible futures of Toronto and other cities.
The course is focused on 5 main goals as follows:
- Explore how ideas and theory related to study of cities evolve and re-emerge
- Understand that cities are ever evolving entities and learn about what contributes to urban change
- Develop and practice the ability to link theory to everyday/vernacular experience
- Assess ideas and communicate information and analysis both in a variety of formats
- Build personal visions of community and engagement